The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Cosmic is correct, but more questions?!?!
In Response To: I think I know .... ()

:
: 1950's Cosmic Moonphase ?

: Here's link to the Omega webpage

: I notice Omega have dated the watch from 1947.
: I thought it came out in the 50's I guess I
: should do some more "Omega"
: reading :-)

You are correct, sir.

Introduced in 1947, the earliest versions have the old calibre designations, engraved under the balance wheel: 27 DL PC. Later, this became the calibre 381 and was engraved on the bridge.

I wish I had the opportunity to take better photos of the example above, but this watch has been to Bienne and back, and is at a watchmakers now. Theres a story there . . .

In 1951, Omega introduced the iconic square Cosmic, which I have in the re-edition from 2001.

Omega in this one, unlike many later Museum Collection watches, was faithful to the size of the original, increasing the width perhaps a 0.5mm and the thickness marginally.

I've always had two questions about the Cosmic:

1) why did Omega respond to the idea that "we need to introduce our first calendar watch" with such an over the top answer -- a full calendar moonphase ?

2) where did the movement come from?

To the latter question, it seems the Swiss never start from scratch, but borrow from existing designs and parts as much as possible.

But Omega didn't have an appropriate 27mm manual wind movement at the time. By size, the round movmements they had were:

26.5mm (calibre 100), originally made by Tissot
27mm (calibre 321), made by Lemania and a chronograph movement, not a calendar
28mm (calibre 360), the 30mm's little sister
28.10mm (calibre 340), Omega's first automatic
30mm (calibre 260), the famous 30 T2 et al.

It would be no surprise if Omega had such a relatively complicated movement made for them, and Lemania would be a great choice. But I don't think a chronograph movement and a full calendar moonphase have a lot in common.

Just the random speculations of a sleepy WIS (more coffee). . .

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE