The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: A couple of details ..
In Response To: A couple of details .. ()

:
: Hi Craig,

: Here are a few details.

: From the movement number it's safe to say that
: the movement was made around 1947 - 1950

: The 283 movement was made from 1949 onwards.
: The 284 ( Specification-wise the same, so I
: guess it's replacement ) was made from 1955
: onwards.

: I'm afraid I can't say anything to the case
: markings ( Sam has more expertise in this
: area ) except to say that Omega often
: shipped "blank" movements to
: countries like the USA, where the movements
: were cased locally. This was to avoid
: excessive import duty on precious metals
: & complete watches.

: Given that your has no Omega markings at all on
: it, it's possible that your watch is one of
: these examples.

: If you have pictures of your watch, we'd love
: to see them. There are details on how to
: post pictures in the green box at the top of
: each Zowie webpage, or alternatively you can
: E-mail me the pictures & I'll Host &
: Post them for you.

: I hope this helps.

: Steve

9 carat gold was only used in Great Britain to my knowledge, and in Commonwealth countries I suppose.

The 283 has a designation of 30 SC T3 PC AM p17, 30mm family, third revision of the center seconds model. This is the successor to the 30 T2 movements, which were also calibre 280 and 281 for the chronometer versions. Subsequent improvements increased the calibre number by one digit, with calibre 286 being the sixth and last revision.

Look forward to seeing more photos.

Sam

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE