The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

a little bit more ..
In Response To: Re: A couple of details .. ()

Hi Craig,

I bit more Info to yor questions.

Sorry guys, just posted a blank message, still getting used to this forum!
No Probs, we're all beginners at some stage. I've don eit plenty of times, but I can delete my own messages :-)

I can post a photo of the back off and the details on the movement are fairly clear but just looks like any other 283 movement. The engravings on the back of the case inside are almost impossible to read with a magnifier and
wouldn't photograph.

OK, this tells us quite a bit. The very small markings on the case back are usually marking from a watchmaker, to identify that it has been with them ( & when ). However what is more interesting here is that you DON'T mention any large markings inside the caseback. So there are no "Hallmarks". These are oficial markings made on precious metals in the UK. So this is not a UK watch. I don't know if other commonwealth countries did this too, so I don't know if we can rule out Australia.

I've noticed a couple of other things you guys may be able to help with. The watch is keeping accurate time, but the crown seems to undo itself to the point of falling off as the watch runs down?

Is this normal or am I doing something
wrong?

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong & it doesn't sound normal. I think a quick trip to the watchmaker is called for.

Also, pulling the crown out and rolling the crown forward in the normal way to set the hands, actually moves the hands anticlockwise (backwards)? Doesn't look good for the watch either as it seems to stall the seconds hand.
As far as the hands rotating backwards, Yes, I'd get it to a watchmaker pretty quickly.

As for the second hands stalling, this could be normal. Do they stop once the crown is pulled out ? ( ths is called Hacking movement & is used to accurately set the second hand ). On the speedmaster, when the crown is pulled, the second hand keeps moving. However if you apply very slight backward rotational pressure on the crown, the second hand will stop. This undocumented feature is often used to synchronise the hands.

All the Best

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE