The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Omega Constellation (cir. 1960's) waterproofing

Hi all, i'm new to the forum but not new to Omega watches. I have owned a "Bond" style SS seamaster and a two tone model 120 seamaster in the past.

Both have been sold, as i find myself gravitating toward the older 1960's versions of the Constellations. The cal.564 i now own in both a 18K screw back case and a gold top version almost identical in dial and case shape.

Someday i wish to obtain an original dial (for the cal.564 movement) incorporating the large applied gold faceted markers with the large dauphine style hands.......these older growing eyes could use the help and i like that style regardless!

Now.....to my question........has anyone been able to convert one of these screw back versions into a truly waterproof watch? I wonder why no one has come up with a screw down case tube and crown that could be used to strengthen this weak area. (would probably need a custom stem also to allow for the screwing in on the tube) Also, a more massive bezel that would permit the fitting of a better sealed saphire crystal would be a big plus for any lovers of this fine movement and watch! I work with my hands at the jewelry store here and the scratch resistance of a saphire crystal would be a big plus also!

Fact is, in my opinion, the cal.561 and cal.564 (with quickset feature) were THE BEST automatic movements Omega ever made in house, and represent the most bang for the watch enthusiest buck around! (including Rolex from that era!). Sad the in house days are gone (except maybe for the co-axial escapement watches which may be in house movements....not sure).

Anyway, anybody out there ever had this kind of custom work done on theie 60's Constellations?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE