The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Speedmaster Pro - Help
In Response To: Re: Speedmaster Pro - Help ()

HI, I wanted to answer some of your questions about a manual wind Omega. First, I would not wind in a clockwise-counterclock wise fashion. After taking apart several mechanical watches myself, this will not serve any purpose except to
cause more stress on the winding mechanism. Wind in a clockwise motion, period. Also, if you wear the watch all the time wind it, otherwise do not wind it everyday just to have it operating. After talking to my watchmaker friend, he is been doing this kind of work for 25 years, he agrees just to
let the watch wind down until you are ready to wear it again. Unless its a perpetual watch there is no need to wind it constantly. If this was an automatic I would say the same thing. Wear it or
forget it. And lastly, about servicing; service the watch every 5-7 years. Hope this info helps, take care and enjoy the watch. Its a beautiful watch!

: Hi.....i don't own this particular model but am
: familiar with the functioning generally.
: The winding is accomplished going in a
: "clockwise" direction. The
: "counter-clockwise" direction
: mearly is a click release similiar to a bike
: pedal which works in one direction but not
: the other.

: This model is a MANUAL WIND!....(NOT an
: automatic which has a clutch system built in
: to prevent overwinding.) So.....you wind it
: fully until you can feel a definite increase
: in resistance and then stop. DO NOT KEEP
: WINDING PAST THIS POINT! , as you can break
: the mainspring and actually damage the watch
: beyond the mainspring from the sudden
: release of the tension from the gear train.

: How many times you wind from a fully stopped
: watch will depend on the
: "winder"(ie...YOU!), and on how
: long a stroke you use in winding. Some
: people wing only clockwise and some (like me
: on my manual wind watches)like to use the
: reverse click provision to enjoy the quality
: feel. There is a very small amount of extra
: wear imparted on the click mechanism from
: going both ways.....but probably would not
: be noticable until decades out.....so i
: wouldn't worry about it. The parts are
: available generally.....and i wear my
: watches to enjoy!

: Service at 4-7 years generally.....as routine.
: Sooner if a problem developes, of course.

: Hope this helps a little.....

: Joe T

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE