The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Yes, there are a few Professional models >
In Response To: Omega Speedmaster- chronometer ()

which are chronometer rated. But these are limited and released a couple of years ago. They are very expensive (mainly due the limitedness) and almost impossible to find. The current collection, like Keith write, has only the Broad Arrow and Spit Second as Chronometer.

They didn't select it as Chronometer because when the Speedmaster came out, in 1957, the Constellation was the flagship of Omega and the only wristwatch (together with Rolex) with chronometer certificate in mass production. So it was quite a prestige object. The Speedmaster was an entirely different line and had other priorities. Like solid, robust movements, readible dial, chronograph function and air-tight cases. A chronometer label was quite expensive as well.

And Chronometer doesn't say much, it is only a measurement on one certain moment. If you have Rolex for example, the chronometer movement caliber 3135 is way different than the non-chronometer movement caliber 3000. Not only the date feature and the chronometer function are lacking on the caliber 3000, but the construction is different as well.

If you would rate an Omega caliber 1861 (Lemania 1871 I think) for a chronometer certificate, the movement would be no different from other Lemania 1871 or Omega caliber 1861 movements. So it is only about regulation of the movement in 5 different positions and with different temperatures. How long would it hold out? If after 2 years the watch runs without chronometer specifications (-4/+6 seconds a day), you have the same watch again as the non-chronometer Speedmaster Pro (with caliber 1861).

To my knowlegde, the caliber 1861 is regulated at a few (not 5 I think) different positions before it leaves the Omega factory in Bienne. So you will get an accurate watch anyway. If it is not accurate again, you can bring it to your watchmaker to have it regulated again.

Personally, I couldn't care less about accuracy. As long as it don't run +15 seconds a day, I am fine with it. If I want to know the exact time, I check www.time.gov of my cellular phone. Who needs to be in time with the precision of -4/+6 seconds? If I would, I would be stressed out the whole day :-)

I have these mechanical pieces for fun. It is part of the charme when it runs a few seconds fast or slow per day. I don't mind it at all.

Best regards,
Robert-Jan

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE