The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
cal 36 is the el primero....

zenith's movement. since lvmh owns both tag heuer and zenith among other things...tag has two watches that utilize the el primero. the link cal 36 and the monza cal 36. the le primero is one of the best chronograph movements out there, imho. beats at 36,000vph..so it has the ability to record 1/10th seconds. 31 jewels. first released in 1969 as the first (or one of the first, depends on what ref. you look at) automatic chronograph movement. in 1969 it was the 3019 17 jewel version...has changed a bit over the years.

the cal 17 is the 2894...eta modular chrono. basically a 2892 movement with a chrono module piggy backed on it. it gets the job done, but not as interesting or fantastic as the el primero is, but it gets the job done. there is a substantial price difference between the cal 36 and the cal 17.

i don't care for the 2894's, myself. i love the el primero, but not the two watches it comes in. i've never cared for the links or s/el's either, for that matter. the monza reissue, i just don't like the case that much or the design elements. that's me though.

if tag made a reissue carrera, monaco, or autavia with the cal 36...in the same vein of the originals...i'd be one of the first in line to add it to my collection, but that's me. hope that helped?

j.h.

Messages In This Thread

Difference among Current Classics Movements
cal 36 is the el primero....
Re: cal 36 is the el primero....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE