The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Inside, Outside, All Around the Forum

We will likely be issuing some new Policies / Guidelines for the ChronoCentric Discussion Forums, but I wanted to post a couple of thoughts regarding some of the recent messages. I will post them as my personal opinions; depending on the opinions of other participants, these thoughts may (or may not) become part of these new Policies.

Some random ideas:

• we should not use the forum to describe our grievances / problems with specific transactions, with named sellers (or buyers). I mean, what is the educational purpose? Do people enjoy watching these fights? In my view, this is not the stuff for this type of forum. If you want to see it, go to a wrestling match, watch "Court TV" or chase the ambulances to the see the really ugly wrecks. But it's not the type of discussion that we want here.

• under some circumstances, it might be appropriate and educational to discuss a grievance on a "no-names" basis. how much should you be able to deduct if the watch is not as described? when should you ask for your money back? on a no-names basis, these discussions can be valuable to our readers and to those actually involved in a controversy.

• we should not discuss the reputations or practices of named individuals on this forum. this subject is just too controversial, and lends itself to abuse. there are other "good-guys / bad-guys" websites that exist for this purpose; this is not one of our purposes.

• if you want information about the reputation or recent practices of a particular person, then you should be free to seek this type of information. responses should be delivered by private e-mail, rather than through this forum.

• posting under multiple, fictitous names is wrong and grounds for being banned from the forum . . . no defenses; no excuses; it's just plain wrong.

• we should require civility / courtesy as a condition of participating in this forum.

It's been a demanding couple of days, in terms of this website and my work . . . I have typed this message quickly, and not agonized over the choices of words . . . I will admit that I am not keen on the policing / enforcement aspects of this website; that's not why I collect watches or participate in websites . . . . Still, it seems that we (a) need to discuss this, one more time, and (b) publish some Policies / Guidleines / Rules that will reflect our conclusions.

We are on the verge of some exciting new projects that will greatly enhance this forum. Let's take care of this bit of housekeeping before we make the house even larger.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE