The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: New Page of OnTheDash -- "Comparisons"

Good job Jeff, Bruce, Chuck et all.

I'd also like to congratulate you Jeff, for your careful wording.

In my opinion there are many gray areas in Heuers (and vintage watches in general) so we better be careful, because none (not even Hans, not even Jack Heuer himself) knows every detail about all the watches (and their variations) ever produced by Heuer.

All these gray areas are also one the reasons I'm generally against value estimates. Look for example the carrera-monza situation. It is true that the production cost, the initial selling price and now the vintage market price is higher for the carrera. But I wont be surprised at all if I saw a monza sell much higher than a carrera. Here are some of the possible explanations.
- Market fluctuates. (We have seen 2 identical models sell for completely different prices many times, now imagine the price fluctuation for 2 different models!)
- The value of a watch in the vintage market is defined by unknown factors. How can we explain the price difference between Monacos and other Heuers? Are all these people buying Monacos at a premium because of the Steve Mcqeen connection? I don't think so. After all we know that he was not a great Heuer fan and was mostly a Rolex-man. Monacos are selling higher and that's it. I wont try to explain it. I call it the "I want this watch" factor.
- Maybe black anodized cased come back in fashion in a strong way and you'll se Monzas selling at a premium.
- Maybe the specific Monza (without the Monza on the face) is considered extra-rare.
- Maybe there are more cal.12 Carreras than cal.12 Monzas, so the Monzas are harder to obtain.
etc.
etc.

My point is everything is relative and temporary. Everything "is so until..."
No matter how broad or deep is our knowledge of the technical aspects, the model variations or the history, it is still limited.
We don't know everything and we can't foresee anything.

Keep up the good work.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE