The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some thoughts...

Well Jeff, this is a very interesting post you started here :-)

Prices seem to be very strong these days for a decent Siffert, not even talking about a NOS example. They are always available (except for the really NOS ones)...if you offer enough cash to someone who has one...money can be very tempting at the right moment...

Arno's post some days ago already predicted a strong rise of these Siffert Autavia's and certain other Heuer models, among them ofcourse also the McQueen Monaco. Now prices for mint to NOS timepieces like these have become much more expensive recently. We can involve the weak USD and the strong EURO(for how long this will last??) in this discussion but I guess it's better not to do so...otherwise we will have to many different opinions I guess.

I saw the last Siffert on ebay, think it was sold some three months ago for around 2900 euro, and in not so nice condition. There's a lot of history attached to this Siffert Autavia, very much thesame as with the McQueen Monaco. The historical background obviously supports collectors to spend (a lot) more money on a Siffert in compairison with "an ordinary" 1163V Viceroy Autavia. Well, me too :-)

The Siffert I prefer is THE Siffert...the Chronomatic. However, I don't own one at this moment but I certainly hope to do so once :-)) For this moment this is THE one for me;

Early-style dial, produced just after the Chronomatic Siffert, with 3-6-9-12 hour register and specific hour-markers, polished hands with thin black line. Also notice the Heuer-shield which seems to be smaller than the later Sifferts. Also pay some attention to the "V" in the "AUTAVIA" lettering, very pointed. Also different with most other Autavia's!

From my point of view prices will become higher and higher. And altough we only have a serious price raise for the watches in mint to NOS condition at this very moment, I think prices for the used ones will also follow eventually!

So, I tend to agree for a very good Siffert in the pricerange of 4000 euro. What will it be next year?? Maybe 5500 euro?? Who knows??

I look forward to read some more opinions from fellow-collectors!!

Cheers,
Abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE