The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Some Softness in Market / What do Others See?

:
: In the Price Guide, we state (as of September 2007), that the best
: 1133B Monacos, with original bracelets, are reaching $9,000,
: with the "baseline" at $7,000 for decent samples of
: this model.

: 15 months later, I believe that the very best ones are still
: selling in the $9,000 range. It seems, however, that the
: "baseline" for a decent sample may have fallen below
: $7,000, and $5,500 or $6,000 may be the more accurate number for
: an average / decent Monaco. I believe that the current economic
: climate has affected some of the more common / commodity
: watches, but that the prices for the very best samples have been
: affected less. There still seem to be strong buyers and strong
: sellers in this part of the market.

: So what do others see, in the current market for vintage Monacos /
: vintage Heuers, in general? where is these strength / weakness?

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree with Jeff that the best samples will keep their value. What if I turned up with an incredibly well preserved Carrera grail with original box and papers? (calm down, it's just an example). I'm sure that somebody with some liquidity will come up in the end. We also have to remember that the vintage Heuer fan has a limited price range to choose, say from € 1,000 to € 7,000 and that's it. The fact that the Heuer niche has kept speculators away it's one of the best things: collecting it's still good fun, and if your favourite watch loses even € 1000 in value, you won't loose much sleep.

Here in Milan second-hand steel Daytonas are turning up in shops at 20% less than a year ago, and that's before Christmas, a time of the year when traditionally prices edge up 10-15%. All the speculative end of the market, such as the steel chronographs of the '60s and the silly and unbearable brands and models that have appeared in the past 5-10 years at ridiculous prices, will be severely affected for some time.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE