The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Possible manufacture of Autavia 2446C GMT "pepsi" bezel *PIC*

I recently contacted the e-bayer ("wholesaleoutlet990") who sells newly manufactured Heuer, Tag Heuer and Rolex bezel inserts. I had bought an 11630MH insert from them ($69 + shipping) and was very pleased with its apparent quality. I asked them if they could also make an insert for the Autavia 2446C GMT. They said if I could provide exact inside and outside diameter, they could produce an insert.
SO, the first question to you all is, is the bezel insert on the 2446C GMT removeable like it is on the automatic Autavia's (1163MH, 1163TH, 11630MH, 11063T etc.) or is it an integral anodized/painted one?? On my 2446C (1-24 hr, not even numbers) it appears to me that maybe it isn't a removeable insert but is rather an integral part of the bezel. Can anyone confirm if this is so? If that is the case, the seller would have to make an insert that would be placed/adhered over the current bezel.
My second question to you all is, can someone provide exact, precise, inside and outside diameter measurements of the bezel insert? I don't have the instruments(s) necessary to provide greater than 1mm measurements.
What do you all think? I'd buy one if they can make them. Would you?
The seller indicated there is a short time window available because apparently his manufacturing source is making him bezels in small quantities (<100 at a time) to supplement his manufacturing in a slow economy. Once the economy picks up again, they will not be able to produce such small quantities. IE-it won't be worth their effort with bigger projects to fulfill. Please provide any possible feedback. I'd love to freshen up my manual 2446C GMT and I'm sure there are others who would like to, also. Needless to say, I have no connection with this e-bay seller and am sending this query to my fellow forum participants for the sole selfish reason that I want to be able to buy a better looking bezel insert for my watch
Steve

PS-The below pic of my watch flatters its current bezel. In reality, the red is more of a pink

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm139/greenes9201/HeuerGMToutside.jpg

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE