The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What is the correct way to set the date on a Caliber 11?

: Hi Ray , i'm glad the Forum advice i wrote last year has been dug
: out again to help someone else.
: I must say i quite like your Hamilton . Do you know if it's fully
: original?
: It seems odd to me that it has a MH (Minute/Hour) outer rotating
: bezel and then a tachy ring inside touching the dial.
: I am not familiar with Hamilton watches so this could well be the
: 'norm'.
: Enjoy the watch - Darren

Thanks for your write up on how to set these movements correctly.

I posted the pic of my watch, because there was no pic of the watch in the Poor Man's Heuer section and I thought it would be of interest to this community.

As best as I can tell the Hamilton is original. If you search on Google for "hamilton "pan europ" chronograph" a few examples can be found which all look exactly the same. I don't have a Autavia to compare, but I suspect the bezels are exactly the same. A Pan Europ 707 version which included GMT and utilized the cailber 15 movement was also produced with a similarly styled dial. I think the Hamilton dials have the tachy ring to make them more distinct from the Heuers.

Interestingly they are unloved by Hamilton collectors and are available for as little as a fourth of what the Heuers command. Hamilton collectors are generally focused at the period when Hamilton was an American company and produced watches which were equal to or better than what the Swiss produced. They consider the period when Hamilton bought Buren and became a Swiss company and began using Swiss movements as a dark age.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE