The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: New user seeks advice on Monaco

Thanks for the replies and to Mark in particular for such a detailed and thought provoking summary of collecting Heuer watches.
I am sure Jeff's price guide has been discussed many times in the past and I am also sure it will be so in the future. It seems to me to be based on ebay sales which of course is obvious - the item and final sale price is well publicised. However, the retail market is at a different level all together. I find that retail prices are about 30 to 50% greater than ebay. Of course one assumes buying retail will offer a degree of security but that is not a certainty (especially for a novice). Second hand car dealers are notorious for passing on a lemon so the same could be said of the vintage watch dealers (no disrespect to the honest dealers of this world). So when it comes to buying a higher end item like an original McQueen Monaco does one wait for one to come up on ebay or go retail and pay the premium? These are my thoughts and my dilemma.
Please share your comments or similar experiences.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE