The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: New user seeks advice on Monaco

Paul hi,

Do you want to wear the watches on a daily basis ? From an investor point of view I have experienced quality to be the first key parameter. Further I look for matching patina, original grinding prefer personally unpolished watches over redone pieces. New old stock watches or rare models are often very good investments. I suggest the Monaco Cal 12 is a good start, the most famous vintage Heuer performed very well during the last years and will do so in the future. Maybe you have heard about the sticky old seal problems you have to watch for. If thats ok turn the watch around and look at the backcase. You can make your eyes familiar with the grinding and shiny surfaces in the Monaco section of my book. I would advise to be carefull in ebay. Our reputable Heuer dealers are a safer choice. It is better longterm to pay little more but getting a good example. Good luck hunting !

Cheers

Arno

www.heuerchronographs.com

: Greetings to all forum members. I'm a new collector/investor in
: watches and since discovering On The Dash I am HOOKED ON HEUERS.
: I started in January 2009 when it was clear interest rates were
: not going to recover any time soon and other markets and
: commodities did not look any better so I converted cash into
: watches speculating a healthier return (surely must beat 0.5%
: interest). Its been a learning curve helped greatly by the OTD
: resource, other web based resource sites and of course The Book
: by Arno. I have focused on Carreras and Autavia’s and I'm
: compelled to acquire a Monaco or 3. I am drawn to the classic
: 1133B and I would like to know what the form members comments
: would be on the different calibre movements. Is the cal. 11 more
: desirable than the 12 or any others that were made? Any help and
: advice would be much appreciated. Regards Paul.
: PS: Here are two examples of my growing Heuer collection.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE