The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Exactly like Mine on my wrist now.Early 1153 Cal11....

My feeling too is that we start to see these right at the end of 1969, after Heuer have agreed to let Breitling use the Chronomatic name (I guess we should say Chrono-Matic where the Breitlings are concerned). It could be right at the start of '70 too, though, hard to be 100% precise after nearly 40 years!

Row E-3 in the table; the hands are a straight carry-over from the last Carrera 12s/30s of manual production - we don't see them change over until the 70/71 catalogue showing the 1971 model versions, so it's a conveniently narrow dating window for examples with these hands.

The earliest gold 1158s used the same hands in gold:

I think they look stunning in gold and much prefer them to the later gold hands as fitted to my 1158 (you can see them nicely on Abel's 1158 CH here http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?read=29300 ), but they would be near impossible to source and I value the originality of my watch... but they are so pretty!

Interesting that you both call the dial blue, as does Arno in his book - it's something we had a fair amount of discussion over when we were putting the table together. Heuer catalogues the dial as "charcoal grey" until the second execution dials hit in 1974 when they go with "deep blue" - I can see both sides, I understand why people call this dial blue but I also understand why Heuer went with charcoal. Just a small insight into some of the process we went into - we would always let Heuer themselves have the final say, even if we didn't necessarily always 100% agree with them :)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE