The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 40th Anniversary LE Monaco -- So How is the Market ? ? ?

: I thought that it might be timely to start a thread on the
: market for the 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Monaco. I have
: seen a couple offered on chrono24.com, at around the $10,000
: mark, and there is one on ebay with a BuyItNow at $16,000, but
: this raises the usual questions:
: are they available through dealers or are they all sold out?

: are any dealers offering discounts or is the MSRP sticking?

: are they being bought and sold in the after-market, and at what
: price?

: do we believe that these become "collectible", and at
: what price?
: Can we get some observations (or even predictions) from our
: experts? Maybe some war stories?

: Jeff

:
:

Hi Jeff,

Hong Kong dealers are offering 15% off the RRP- and I know that there are at least 2 available still. I also received a call from a Melbourne store offering a similar discount off the watch, so while I guess its very dependent on which market you're talking about, I do think its possible to still buy today at a discount.

The "flippers" seeking a quick profit may get lucky, but I doubt it. $16k is ridiculous.

I don't know of any Tag- including the 40th anniversary carrera, and the 360 Carreras- that are now trading at or above their original retail price. A couple of weeks ago a PVD 360 Carrera (10 made!) went for just over 50% of the original price.

So, in my view the Monaco will settle around the $4000-5000 mark- but there may be some quick profits in the meantime. The main reason that I think they will fall to this level is that the people who really care about the 40th anniversary watch are Heuer- not Tag Heuer- fans. And I'm not sure that the Heuer fan base would rather have this watch that a mint Siffert...$5000 buys you a lot of Heuer.

dc

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE