The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Will Inquire of "The Master" About this Lume Work

Let me see what I can learn about this work on the lume.

My first question -- when I saw the light / bright markers and numerals, in smaller photo -- was whether or not he had painted or re-lumed the dial.

His answer was that he had not used any paint or lume material . . . he had only cleaned the existing lume. I did not get into the details of removing dirt / removing lume that is discolored / etc. I suppose one question is, "after the process has been completed, what remains on the dial?" Is it clean, old lume that was below the dirty, discolored lume that has been removed? Or is it paint or some primer type material? I have no idea, but will see what I can learn.

I am happy to have found a new and interesting topic for the group . . . we explore so many topics, but there are always new ones coming across the horizon!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I'll add my voice to those interested in how the lume has been
: restored.

: As Abel says, it's not usually a case of the lume being dirty that
: causes the discolouration, it's wholesale chemical change. And
: it doesn't entirely look like the lume has been removed,
: because, looking closely, areas that were free of lume before
: (the top of the '1' in '12', the bottom left of the 8 and 11
: o'clock markers) still stand out differently from the lumed
: areas.

: Perhaps it's a trade secret of that particular restorer, but I'm
: struggling to think of how to do it either mechanically or
: chemically once the lume is as aged as it is in the before
: photos, so now I'm itching to know how!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE