The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Just Monaco?
In Response To: Just Monaco? ()

All the Carrera 1553s I have seen have had cases correctly marked 1553, rather than reusing 1153 cases.

I suspect this comes down to volumes as much as anything - we have heard anecdotally from Jack Heuer that the Monaco at the time was not a runaway success, whereas the Carrera and Autavia had longer histories for Heuer to estimate sales against and were selling strongly.

There are other occasions (hands, markers) where Heuer seems to "use up" existing stock of components even when they have a new or redesigned model, and it looks to me like the same thing is happening here with the Monaco cases. The situation isn't quite the same, as the Cal 15 models were intended to complement, not replace, the Cal 12s. What would be interesting would be to compare serial numbers to see whether they used 1133 cases at the start before 1533 ones were available, or once the initial batch(es) of Cal 15 cases were used up.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE