The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Top 3 Monacos - what are yours?

Honestly, I'm not that great a fan of the Monaco, but I like the topic so I can't resist!

1) 73033 PVD - I like the "none more black" styling; if you're going to strap a big square of metal to your wrist, then why not make it black? I also like the fact that it's a bit of an "insider" job - unless you know your Heuers, you're not sure what it is, whether it's genuine and it's most definitely not a TAG. I'm slightly torn over the hands - the "equivalent" Carrera, the 110.571 NC, uses either black or white for everything so gives a fantastic impression of being monochromatic - on the other hand, the orange highlights work well too and ensures each watch has its own identity. I'd love it if Heuer had used a white on black date wheel on either watch instead of the more common black on white, but this is something they have done very rarely over their history.

2) 1133 B Chronomatic - Where it started. But there's a caveat. It has to be one of the ones where the paint has gone all tropical on us. I don't really buy the metallic blue finish on the dial, though that is likely in large part to how it comes across in photographs, but I love the way it degrades into complex bronzes, browns and coppers.

3) 73633 G - I ummed and ahhed over choosing a third for a while. I usually go for two-register watches over three, but I think three registers balances quite well over the square Monaco dial. And I hadn't had a grey-dialled watch in the list yet... but then, given I specified above that the Chronomatic dial should have aged to brown, I don't have a blue Monaco in here now.... which I -think- I can live with actually. And I want to be a little more specific - this watch should be one of the ones where the registers don't contrast with the dial, i.e. they are the same paler grey as the rest of the dial.

So there you go, some perspectives from a non-Monaco collector! Thanks for the topic Rich, made for an interesting bit of sitting and thinking.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE