The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Monaco Chronomatic . . . Now the "Tabac" Version

I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago, and visited my favorite local watch shop . . . European Watch Company.

European Watch Company is a relatively small store, but has a fantastic selection of watches . . . many of the high-end brands that you would expect (Patek, Breguet, IWC, Blancpain, etc.), and always some interesting vintage watches, covering a nice range of high-end and more affordable brands (Omega, Heuer, Breitling, etc.). You get the sense that many of the vintage watches in the showcase have been traded in, against new purchases. No snobbery here . . . I have found reasonably-priced Heuers, Tutimas, Omegas and Hamiltons, even though this store is in the "high rent district".

The store is on Newbury Street (Boston's equivalent of Fifth Avenue or Rodeo Drive), so spouses and kids will also be happy with this neighborhood, as a shopping or dining destination. The store also seems to be something of a hang-out for watch lovers, where local collectors might drop in just to look at some watches and chat with the staff. It's a friendly place, with a knowledgeable staff of folks who care about watches (and their customers).

To me, one of the most exceptional aspects of European Watch Company is the selection of straps . . . they have amazing choices in alligator, crocodile, leather, cordovan and other "exotics", in all the right sizes. Good fun to dig through the boxes, to find the straps that are themselves fine pieces of workmanship.

So how do you like the "Paintless Wonder", with its new "Tabac" strap (cordovan)? It's probably not for everyone, but was fun this past "Casual Friday".

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE