The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Microsoft's "Bing" translation

Well, I speak no german at all but the following is the Microsoft search engine "Bing"'s translation. Some gibberish to the text but you can probably get the gist of the comments from Richard Sapper:

"At that time I have designed the first digital stop watches for wages, which were then of course a revolution." Well this year was the model I had presented him personally. When he then highlights it approximately 25 present sales Chief, he suggested that everyone at the Herumreichen of the model should comment. The first said right: "" I can not sell this"!" He established it that the timer was totally different to the popular products. Everyone at the table joined the opinion - I already thought that I now six months completely for free would have worked. The stopwatch anlangte again when Jack Heuer, he said: "your comments were all very interesting. We are still selling this stopwatch. "You will sell it!" End of discussion.
Six months later Heuer made incidentally a third of its turnover with this stopwatch. This means Heuer and I were right and that its sales chief was wrong.
I throw out but not the marketing people because they are not trained on something. A designer working in and for the future, of a contractor can be expected, to have a look to the future. Marketing and sales people but must focus on what they have on the table, they depend what they have already sold. For a new, revolutionary product marketing has no support at all, because you can do no informed sales forecast. "You must to its pure instinct rely.": the black one is Microsplit 520:

Steve

: I found a real interesting Story, about this Microsplit,
: unfortunately it's in german.
: Perhaps somebody can translate it. (My english is to bad):

: Richard Sapper:

: "Ich habe seinerzeit für Heuer die ersten digitalen
: Stoppuhren entworfen, die waren damals natürlich eine
: Revolution. Heuer fand das Modell gut, das ich ihm persönlich
: vorgestellt hatte. Als er es anschließend den circa 25
: anwesenden Verkaufschefs vorführte, schlug er vor, dass jeder
: beim Herumreichen des Modells einen Kommentar abgeben solle. Der
: Erste sagte gleich: „Das kann ich nicht verkaufen“! Er
: begründete es damit, dass die Stoppuhr völlig verschieden zu
: den üblichen Geräten sei. Alle anderen am Tisch schlossen sich
: der Meinung an – ich dachte schon, dass ich nun ein halbes
: Jahr komplett umsonst gearbeitet hätte. Als die Stoppuhr
: schließlich wieder bei Jack Heuer anlangte, sagte er: „Ihre
: Aussagen waren alle sehr interessant. Wir werden diese Stoppuhr
: aber trotzdem verkaufen. SIE werden sie verkaufen!“ Ende der
: Diskussion.
: Ein halbes Jahr später hat Heuer übrigens ein Drittel seines
: Umsatzes mit dieser Stoppuhr gemacht. Das heißt Heuer und ich
: hatten recht, seine Verkaufschefs hatten Unrecht.
: Das werfe ich den Marketingleuten aber gar nicht vor, denn sie sind
: auf so etwas nicht trainiert. Ein Designer arbeitet in und für
: die Zukunft, auch von einem Unternehmer kann man erwarten, dass
: er einen Blick für die Zukunft hat. Marketing- und
: Verkaufsleute aber müssen sich auf das konzentrieren, was sie
: auf dem Tisch haben, sie richten sich danach, was sie bisher
: schon verkauft haben. Für ein neues, revolutionäres Produkt
: hat das Marketing gar keine Basis, da kann man keine fundierte
: Absatzprognose machen. Man muss sich auf seinen puren Instinkt
: verlassen."

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE