The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Collecting- tips for starters
In Response To: Collecting- tips for starters ()

Hi There and welcome to OTD,

As a fellow Aussie (there are a couple of us here), let me put down a few thoughts...although as you can imagine, everyone takes a different approach:

- If you want to build a vintage Heuer collection, then that's where to start. If you buy new watches, you will find steeper depreciation than vintage- meaning that you're further away from your eventual goal
- However, if you believe the risk of vintage is high (and for most people its intimidating), then start with the re-edition series. That will give you vintage looks with modern reliability
- My golden rule would be to buy what you like- don't worry too much about trying to pick undervalued watches- its too hard. If you like Heuer 1000 quartz divers, then buy those, wear them and enjoy them
- Don't be too focused too early- many people eventually focus their collecting around 1-2 series...but at the start, try a few models and see what you like and what works for you
- The best play to buy vintage Heuers? To start with, here. Every seller- both private and businesses- are hooked into Chronotrader. Pay a little more for your first few based on the reputation of a seller. Ask questions: Is it 100% original? When was it last serviced? Has the case been re-polished? You need to know all of this
- Cross-check against the wealth of information here at OTD. There is basically no question that hasn't been asked before and some great photos. This is where I- and many others- learnt about Heuer. Its all here
- Don't store more than 1-2 watches at home. Any more should be in a safe- even better, a bank safe. Watch winders? I've never seen the point. If setting my watch to the correct time is the biggest budren of my day, then life is pretty good.
- Budget on servicing vintage watches every couple of years. Unfortunately, most of the good Heuer parts/ service guys are in Europe/ US- makes life hard from Australia
- Male dominated? Yes, but not exclusively. Sure we talk about cars a bit as well as watches, but misogyny is not a part of this board
- From time to time, regularly check the well written, landmark TAG Heuer/ Heuer website Calibre 11 (http://www.calibre11.com) for dazzling insight and prose (its my website!). On a more serious note, there is a great network of Heuer fan/ information websites that have sprung from OTD- but like homing pigeons everyone returns here.
- Finally, make sure you come back to OTD and tell us what you've bought and get involved.

Cheers

dc

Messages In This Thread

Collecting- tips for starters
Re: Collecting- tips for starters
Thankyou
And More Advice for Starters
Spot on Jeff! *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE