The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
And More Advice for Starters

David provides some excellent advice, below. I will jump in, with a few reactions and ideas, shown in the bold type.

Jeff

: Hi There and welcome to OTD,

: As a fellow Aussie (there are a couple of us here), let me put down a few thoughts...although as you can imagine, everyone takes a different approach:

: - If you want to build a vintage Heuer collection, then that's where to start. If you buy new watches, you will find steeper depreciation than vintage- meaning that you're further away from your eventual goal

Agreed . . . go vintage from day one, if these are the watches you think you want to collect.

: - However, if you believe the risk of vintage is high (and for most people its intimidating), then start with the re-edition series. That will give you vintage looks with modern reliability.

Good idea. Some of the re-editions are on their way to becoming collectible classics, and may be easier for you, in terms of parts and reliability.

: - My golden rule would be to buy what you like- don't worry too much about trying to pick undervalued watches- its too hard. If you like Heuer 1000 quartz divers, then buy those, wear them and enjoy them

Agreed. If you are collecting to wear and enjoy the watches, then this is the way to go. You will need an "exit strategy" at some point, but don't be overly focused on exiting, just as you are entering. Don't expect to make money on your collection. A reasonable expectation might be to be able to sell a given watch at about the price that you paid for it. Any upside can be a nice surprise. If you are successful in "buying them well", then you should be able to avoid too much downside.

: - Don't be too focused too early- many people eventually focus their collecting around 1-2 series...but at the start, try a few models and see what you like and what works for you.

A related point: If you buy one, and then find that you don't like it, don't be afraid to sell the mistake and find something new. There is no crime in selling a watch; on the contrary, selling is an important part of collecting. But selling is far more difficult than buying, in terms of the logistics (photos, descriptions, trips to the post office, etc.) and in terms of the psychology. So try some different models, and if you are not enjoying a particular watch, then sell it and move on.

: - The best play to buy vintage Heuers? To start with, here. Every seller- both private and businesses- are hooked into Chronotrader. Pay a little more for your first few based on the reputation of a seller. Ask questions: Is it 100% original? When was it last serviced? Has the case been re-polished? You need to know all of this.

In other words, do the research and ask the tough questions before you buy the watch. Lots of beginners receive their new watches, get all excited, and then commence the research. By then, it may be too late, especially if you find that you have bought a franken or a fake. Do your homework before you buy the watch.

: - Cross-check against the wealth of information here at OTD. There is basically no question that hasn't been asked before and some great photos. This is where I- and many others- learnt about
: Heuer. Its all here.

Agreed. This is also a friendly community where there are no "dumb questions". We have had the most advanced technical questions and also people asking whether you need to wind the watch if the batteries are fresh.

: - Don't store more than 1-2 watches at home. Any more should be in a safe- even better, a bank safe. Watch winders? I've never seen the point. If setting my watch to the correct time is the biggest burden of my day, then life is pretty good.

Agreed, except you may be able to store them at home, if you have the right kind of insurance coverage (and could otherwise deal with their loss). Some of us don't enjoy having them in safes, so the premium for the insurance is a reasonable price to pay, to have the watches at hand.

: - Budget on servicing vintage watches every couple of years. Unfortunately, most of the good Heuer parts/ service guys are in Europe/ US- makes life hard from Australia

Agreed.

: - Male dominated? Yes, but not exclusively. Sure we talk about cars a bit as well as watches, but misogyny is not a part of this board.

Agreed. We have had a few female participants here over the years. There are certainly no barriers here; it's not an intimidating atmosphere, or a "boys only" club.

: - From time to time, regularly check the well written, landmark TAG Heuer/ Heuer website Calibre 11 (http://www.calibre11.com) for dazzling insight and prose (its my website!). On a more serious note, there is a great network of Heuer fan/ information websites that have sprung from OTD- but like homing pigeons everyone returns here.
: - Finally, make sure you come back to OTD and tell us what you've bought and get involved.

Agreed on all points. Calibre11.com is an awesome website; visit it often, and you can also be a "regular" over here. OnTheDash and Calibre11 do well together, as on this message . . . right?

: Cheers

: dc

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE