The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Interesting case, the Kentuckies

Ok, so I'm punning but let's go with it.

A "series" watch, albeit one that appeared late in Heuer's named series period, available with several movements including some interesting ones, that never caught on as much as most of the series did. The name might not carry the cachet of some of the other series, certainly outside of the US, but if I recall from the price lists correctly, it was one of the Heuers that wasn't sold in all territories anyway, so that can't be the whole story.

The movement prosaic? It won't take much searching of this forum to work out how down I am on TAG-Heuer using the movement in its current Carreras so no need to repeat myself there, but in the Kentucky's case (ah, again, not deliberate this time...) it didn't have that heritage of using dials in other configurations that the Carrera did, so not the same issue at all. Plus, the 7750 was only four years old when the Kentucky was launched, so it was nothing like as ubiquitous as it is today. Conversely, that very ubiquity might make the automatic Kentucky appealing to someone looking to get into vintage nowadays. Parts shortages? Watchmakers unfamiliar with the movement? If there's one movement where those aren't a concern, it would be this one.

The bicolour case? Not to everyone's taste for sure, but not all of them had plated parts and I'm not sure that the take up of the pure stainless models was vastly better. And, as you say, not as disturbing in the metal as you might think.

I think the Kentucky has its place as a way in to Heuer series ownership (I know that's not the case (arrrgghhh) for you Dan, but still); still affordable, reliable and it has the potential for vertical collecting too, with nine discrete models (discounting the two "renames") and the quirky twin LCD as a model to look out for. There are worse places to start a Heuer collection as far as I'm concerned.

Question about the case - is the bracelet symmetrical despite the horseshoe case? I.e. have they wangled it so that the lugs are the same or are the pieces not interchangeable top and bottom? And finally, is it comfortable to wear? I quite like the Daytona's integral bracelet, but have never spent any real time with a Kentucky.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE