The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I am a Fan of Patina and Mint (or Near Mint)
In Response To: Re: Mint v's Patina ()

I am happy with patina; I am happy with mint (or near mint); I am also happy with NOS, but not usually willing to pay the premium for NOS, as it will not be NOS for long, once it joins my collection. There really is something amazing about seeing an NOS piece, that remains in perfect (or near perfect condition) . . . can be very striking / dramatic.

I agree that originality is critical, regardless of condition, and I will pay some premium for that. "Service hands" are usually acceptable, if the original ones are not to be found, but service hands causes some discount, in my heirarchy of values.

Shown below is one that I have enjoyed, even though it shows its scars. This is a very early triple calendar chronograph.

Good topic for discussion.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Horses for courses.

: For me, originality is king and the benefit there of a watch with
: good patina is that you can see if all the parts have aged
: consistently. It's actually harder to get, say, lume on dial and
: hands to match on a watch with patina than to put together a
: mint one. There are of course genuinely mint watches out there,
: but probably not as many as are passed off as being mint.

: Personally, I'd rather have the aged watch that has never been
: messed with than the one that has been put back to mint. I'll
: take an original mint watch with provenance too of course!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE