The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Strange indeed- Autavias, let's dive deeper (pun intended!)

Hi all, I agree with Mark of course, we love our beauties too much to risk their health for a rainfall, don't we?
On the other hand, especially about Autavias, the topic is really interesting and I admit it has puzzled me for some time.
Especially when we come to the Autavias I like more and seem to be amongs pretty much everyone's favourites, i.e. the latest 11063V cased.
This family in the 1000 series should comprise:

- the 11630MH in its latest incarnation (1984 and 1985 catalogues, grey or black subdials depending on the page)
- the Diver 100 (1982 specialty catalogue)
- the PVD family in black, olive green, pewter and the gold-plated 'cousin' of these 3
- the 11063VNT, i.e. the final version of the Viceroy

and their 2nd cousin Skipper 15640.

All of them share the same case and one could imagine the same pushers, O-rings, gaskets etc. The only outer surface seems to be for the external finish of the coated four.
Still we have the official Diver, supposedly the 'most waterproof' (if this phrase makes any sense...), certified down to 100m.
The others are instead rated to 200m!

What's even more startling is that the 11630MH and the Skipper were indeed transitioned from the last-but-one 'real' 11630 case to the last 11063V in the course of roughly 3 years (but of course the real transition must have been much quicker). And with the case change, waterproofness seems to double.
I do not think they were able in so short a time and in that stressful period to achieve so remarkable a result, and indeed a 200m-rated chrono is a stunning item nowadays as well.

It'll be indeed interesting to see what are the thought of he who actually serviced them, and of course everyone else's.
Cheers,
Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE