The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
And the "Montreal" was Not Named for the Racing Circuit
In Response To: Your point is a very good one ()

Ron:

Your brilliant and entertaining message about the name "Camaro" reminded me of an interesting bit of trivia relating to the naming of the "Montreal" chronograph.

As it turns out, the "Montreal" -- introduced by Heuer in 1972 -- was not named for the location of Canada's Grand Prix race. At that time, Formula One races in Canada were held at Mosport (near Toronto), and the Canadian Grand Prix only moved to Montreal in 1978. Accordingly, the name "Montreal" must have been chosen either (a) in honor of the "Expo" (held there in 1967) or (b) in anticipation of the Olympic Games (held there in 1976, but already announced in 1972). I have not done the historic research, but must imagine that there was no expectation that Formula One races would be held in Montreal, at the time that Heuer selected the name of the Montreal chronograph.

So how would we like to have seen a Heuer named "Mosport"!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Ron, great post and wise conclusion (Merlot is a nice
: thought-provoker then ;-))
: I am no Camaro fan but your train of thoughts seems to me very
: consistent and convincing.
: Indeed it looks and probably feels a middle-of-the-road approach
: between the Monaco and the Carrera, blending together the most
: meaningful features of both while smoothing some of the others.
: And definitely a less striking departure from the Carrera pure
: lines than the avant-garde Monaco, while allowing Heuer to use
: up some outstanding manual movements in a period of slump as Mr.
: Heuer himself recalls in Arno's book preface.
: Even the name sounds a bit like a mixture of theirs, isn't it?
: Cheers,
: Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE