The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Ok, I will bite the bullet and make some comments :)

Firstly Jeff, let me just say you started a huge argument at my house last night...

You see, every evening without fail, I spend many a happy hour trawling the forum, chronotrader, all the dealer sites and blogs in perfect bliss. Recently though, will all the new developments I am spending longer and longer on the net to my Fiance Claire's annoyance. Last night (apparently) I was like a zombie glued to the screen and not talking about my day (and hence listening to hers) and all the blah blah involved. I was as you can imagine, glued to your new OTD reference pages saving each glorious image in high resolution, and reading your comments as we say here in Australia "like a pig in sh*t) ie very very happily.

I am, as I suspect like everyone else, debating on how/whether I should secure the funds I need to get hold of my grail watch (which coincidently appears in Arno's auction). These questions which have been keeping me awake (no joke) for the last several weeks:

Should I register for the auction, or get a "friend" to bid on my behalf?
Should I order the auction catalogue and if so, will this be tempting fate
Is it wrong to spend that amount of money on a watch when I should be responsible and pay off my mortgage like a good boy?
Should I get a personal loan just in case I need that extra bit of dosh to beat the oil tycoon i will be bidding against?
can I classify the watch as an investment, even though I have no intention of ever selling it?
Should I just call it a work of art, and hence justify the expense?
Should I sacrifice the peace of mind knowing that Arno's good name is attached to the watch, and instead wait for a similar piece to appear in 5 years time elswhere with more risk involved, and perhaps a greater expense with the added risk of perhaps never seeing one again?
Should I tell Claire if I buy the watch? *grins*

As you can see....the lack of comments from us i am assuming no indication of the trepidation, fear and excitement out there for all of us. All I can say is I am waiting on a "white knight" so to speak to offer me the watch I am after before the auction and save me the ulcer / medication required on missing out on this grail.

Cheers

Eyal

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE