The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Of Content and Outlets . . .Now Conext

My work (and Jeff's, but in a different way) is language. In this thread, a semantic diversion is warranted. Pardon my verbiage in advance and feel free to ignore.

The context of Facebook and Twitter (much less Reddit, Tumblr, et al) is to provide immediate access on topics of current, popular interest to a very broad audience.

I think most of us can agree that, aside from sharing photos of new purchases, the purpose (or context) of this community is to share insight, commentary, and musings that require a bit of thought. Speedy input and distribution of ideas does not suit the study of vintage timepieces very well, does it?

The depth of shared knowledge in the OTD community is highly specific, too. Popular online communities appeal to anyone with internet access and a way to type and click. I have observed that we are interested in experts whereas most other online communities are interested in sharing. When an expert weighs in on a topic on a popular online community, (s)he is often ignored, sometimes ridiculed. We do quite the opposite.

I like OTD because it is refreshingly different from most other forums. I actually enjoy reading long posts by people who know more than I. I also enjoy perusing topics that are not necessarily what I like—I learn from these. On this forum, I respect the opinions of those with whom I disagree because they are part of a community that shares the love of Heuers, timepieces, motor sports, and history. What a nice break from Facebook-like communities!

I think the context of OTD is perfectly suited to the long, rambling series of posts that can be viewed at random or in order. Things are just fine here, thankyouverymuch.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE