The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Yes, magnificent... :)
In Response To: Yes, magnificent... :) ()

I'm with Sandra on this. While I like some of the detailing on the Carrera 1887 (second execution, I think the third lost some of the restraint, though I can see what Christoph is getting at there too), the positioning of the registers is a turn off for me.

I do have some of the re-editions:

but they're all either in a classic 3-6-9 tri-compax layout or a 3-9 two-register. That is more in keeping with the DNA of both Heuers and Carreras in particular. Whilst in the past Heuer did have some up-down chronos in the past and the occasional 6-9-12 layout, that configuration always puts me more in mind of the flood of 7750-based watches we have seen from many manufacturers in the last couple of decades. Going back to 3-6-9 would make the watches stand out more from the crowd, and it wouldn't be a case of aping Daytonas or Speedmasters, as it's the classic Carrera configuration too.

I'm interested in seeing the 2011 version of the Carrera Mikrograph, but I wasn't that keen on the 2010 vintage, it essentially appeared to be a reworking of the 360. And I always found that a bit fussy and over-detailed, with different sized registers - just too much going on for me. So I'll wait and see for the 17th - I can say I like the finishing of the movement though!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE