The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Current purchasing value of Carrera

The barrels are broadly similar to the 1153 case in most dimensions:

110.573 - 40mm high, 38mm wide
1153 - 41mm high, 38mm wide

Both excluding pushers and crown. The difference comes in the height of the case. The 1153 is 13mm but nearly 3mm of this is the domed plexiglass. The 110.573 is just over 13mm but the mineral glass sits nearly flush with the case, so much more of the 13mm is actual case with the barrel watch. This makes the watch sit prouder of the wrist than the preceding model - it's not uncomfortable, but it always makes me much more conscious of wearing a watch than an 1153 does, at least for the first five minutes or so. I wear both tight enough that the head doesn't keep slipping down but that's a personal preference, obviously some people like a looser fit.

A tight fitting barrel has the additional benefit of letting you move your wrist so the light can play across the CdG dial, as I've been doing while typing this :)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE