The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Re-Issue of the Rolex Explorer II (Orange Hand)

I don't really get the attraction of either watch, to be honest. I do like some Rolexes, some early Daytonas and pre-Daytonas in particular, and even some of the things they have done more recently - the Widmanstätten patterns on a meteorite dial, for example, though I find five (!) lines of text on the dial excessive:

They have an enviable brand awareness and reputation for quality to the man in the street, quite possibly being the only prestige watch brand they could name. Yet that air of exclusivity is more the product of incredible marketing, targeted pricing and controlling volume on key watches than anything else - consider that Heuer's annual production in its heyday was something like 1/100th of Rolex's today.

Back to that Explorer, I find Rolex sometimes has some difficulty avoiding self-pastiche - once every element is over-sized, surely you lose the effect of one being extra-large, like the GMT hand on the Explorer 24? The immediate precursor of the new watch pictured is much more attractive:

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/explorerii/explorer-ii-40mm-steel-16570__black__78790

With all the detailing turned up to 11, the new one has become cartoonish for me. And big blobs of high-gloss paint at the base of each hand? Looks more like a fake than the real thing like that!

So not for me, but I don't doubt for a moment that it will find its target market well enough.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE