The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: The Real Orange Boy
In Response To: Re: The Real Orange Boy ()

Thanks Paul.

A few weeks back I did a bit of research on the 'orange boy / gulf' and it seems all roads point here!
There is a thread in the OTD depths that discusses this model, and what to 'call' it - I think it was Jeff who first wrote 'Orange Guy', then someone suggested 'Gulf' because of the orange, then Orange Guy morphed into Orange Boy, and it stuck, along with the Gulf name too.

The 11630 Black dial, grey subs & orange highlights is occasionally called 'Orange Boy' too, which is incorrect according to the 'rules'. As is the silver dial version. Same way that some people call any Viceroy a 'Derek Bell'. So you are completely correct, this model is the original 'true' Orange Boy / Gulf.

Stewart

: Hi Stewart - I did the double take when I saw that picture and more
: than happy for you to post it here. I dont know who, how or when
: the "Orange Boy" name was coined but I always believed
: it referred to this example - the 1163 Autavia. Mine was an
: early addition to my collection and I soon realised that it is
: the hardest to find of the three 1163 variants with matching
: colour hands and hour marker accents i.e. Siffert (blue),
: Bell/Viceroy (red) & Orange Boy (orange). In my example and
: in others that I have seen, the orange fades to yellow
: especially on the hour markers so to get one that is still
: bright orange on the dial, markers and hands and matching
: intensity then you are doing well. I look forward to your
: pictures.
: regards
: Paul
: www.heuerworld.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE