The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carrera with Blue Sections on Chrono Minutes

I have seen and heard of these Carrera dials, with the blue sections on the chrono minutes register, for some time now, but I have never seen one in a watch that seemed authentic / made in the 1960s.

I am no expert in yacht racing, but I believe that it involves a 15-minute countdown, in five minute increments, with the boats getting to the start line at the 15 minute mark.

So the Skipper is better designed for this purpose than the Carrera (with its 30 minute register), especially given the need for legibility in the rough environment. But is is interesting that the SkippeRrera was the first Skipper, in the Carrera case, and then someone decided -- quite logically, it seems -- that the Autavia provided a better case, etc.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Great summary Jeff !!

: Attached a Carrera 'Nautique' with blue accents on the minute
: subdial....was it the father of all Skippers ?

: Cheers

: Arno

:

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE