The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Dr. Ranfft nailed it - Valjoux 61

: Thanks Mark,
: Roland Ranfft kindly replied to my email with the info - it's a
: Val. 61. I can't believe I missed it, there is one as clear as
: day on the OTD/movements page - doh!!

So there is! Definitely one of those :)

: Not sure about your observations Mark, Dr. Rannfft identifies
: both as a V.61.. I have a better 'top down' photo, and the
: m'ment is the same as the diagram.

I don't follow. Both? Ah, the movement in the diagram too. I wasn't commenting on that at all, just that Jeff had found one with a Vj 5 and other early pocket chronos used the Vj 22 and that neither of those was what was in your watch :) Which we now know is a Vj 61, as is what is shown in the catalogue.

Can't really help much on that front either I'm afraid. Looks like it might be a development of the earlier 22/23, but a quick Google did turn up something interesting at least., with the Russians assembling them from a mix of Swiss parts and what seems to be some homebrew components. Some look to be plain old clones too, rather than using any Swiss components. And used by the Russian army during WWII. As well as "proper" Vj 61 watches used by a number of the militaries during the war.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE