The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Dr. Ranfft nailed it - Valjoux 61

Ahh.. Sorry Mark, I thought you were referring to the photo & diagram I posted, I 'read it' that you thought they were different - my mistake.

Yep, my research into the v61, shows that it was licensed out (or similar) to the Russians. This info is a little unclear. Some sites stating that they were made in Switzerland and assembled by the Russians into Russian cases. Other sites suggest there was a Russian version of the V61, either with Valjoux';s permission or not, I don't know. Maybe Valjoux sold the blueprints. Strange that there isn't much information about the V61. In fact the top 2 google hits go straight to OTD!!

I'm pretty happy though, my 701 is pictured in the 1938 Heuer catalogue*, along with a diagram of a V61 referenced to being the movement in the 701.

Stewart

*Actually the catalogue pic is of a 701/Tachy. Mine is a 701/Dec (decimal scale), there was a 701 standard (David D owned one). There may have been a 701/Pulse, as it was in later 60's catalogues, but I can't verify that it was available in the late 30's.

: So there is! Definitely one of those :)

: I don't follow. Both? Ah, the movement in the diagram too. I wasn't
: commenting on that at all, just that Jeff had found one with a
: Vj 5 and other early pocket chronos used the Vj 22 and that
: neither of those was what was in your watch :) Which we now know
: is a Vj 61, as is what is shown in the catalogue.

: Can't really help much on that front either I'm afraid. Looks like
: it might be a development of the earlier 22/23, but a quick
: Google did turn up something interesting at least., with the
: Russians assembling them from a mix of Swiss parts and what
: seems to be some homebrew components. Some look to be plain old
: clones too, rather than using any Swiss components. And used by
: the Russian army during WWII. As well as "proper" Vj
: 61 watches used by a number of the militaries during the war.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE