The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A deep and meaningful question for a Wednesday night.

Hi everyone. I've got a question which I've been thinking about for a few days now. It's just been bought back to the front of my mind though by a customer who's just been in. ( Nice lad but he had a hooky watch ).

Anyway, the main question I have was bought up during a conversation at my sons 2nd birthday bbq at the weekend; Who makes the best watches in the world?

A bit of an openended question I know, as personal taste and experiences are subjective, but that aside, based on materials used and build quality, what do you guys reckon?

I ask because my brother-in-law was telling me about his Dad's collection of Rolex's and how he thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I've never been a massive fan of Rolex and although I would probably own one, I would always wonder if I'd only brought it because it's a 'Rolex'. Certainly, after seeing the Milsubs that have sold recently for £60,000 I asked can't help but myself, why?

My thoughts were jogged again as I say by this young lad who came in today with a hooky Jacob and Co Epic 2 watch. He looked a little gutted when I told him I'd never heard of it. It looked very big, very garish and a bit cheap looking in my opinion, but I of course told him I thought it looked great. He went on to tell me that Tom Cruise and David Beckham wear them and sure enough, after a quick look on their website, (which seems far more interested in pictures of every A, B and C list celeb sporting the watches), I found some very expensive timepieces.

Part 2 of my rambling question though is 'What justifies the price tags of watches like Audemars Piguet and Patek Phillipe'? In comparison, A Heuer Monaco seems like quite a bargain but if far more appealing to the eye.

Please excuse my rambings but I'm just trying to get my head around it.

Thanks

David H

Messages In This Thread

A deep and meaningful question for a Wednesday night.
Open to endless debate
Re: Open to endless debate
Exhausting to Even Think of Attempting an Answer
Agree with Jeff
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE