The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
"Record Shots", Indeed
In Response To: Re: Impressive ()

Thanks, Paul.

I realized a few days ago, when I was going through the amazing vintage Heuer "pool" photos, that I am taking far less creative / dramatic photos than many members of our community. But that seems to be my fate -- even my role -- at the moment.

There are probably 300 to 500 chronographs that were are tracking. I would like to have the "record shots" of all of them, and when I get a unique model or execution, I am very focused [pardon the use of that word] on documenting it -- no shadows, no spots, no blurrs, etc. Six to ten different angles; minimal post-production . . . if I can shoot 100 shots in 30 minutes, and get 8 good ones for the Galleries, then it's "mission accomplished" for me!!

Given this focus, I appreciate all the more when other members of the community are able to contribute the artistic / glamorous / dramatic shots. I am determined to begin mixing more of these photos into the Galleries, as we also cover the "basics" (the record shots).

Then there are the "comparison" photos, the dreaded three-watches-in-one-photo shots, but that is another story!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jeff - It's interesting how we all have our own distinct style
: and this has your name written all over it. These are perfect
: record shots. By this I mean:

: 1. They are a true and accurate record of the object
: 2. Quality is excellent with good detail throughout
: 3. No deep shadows or highlights obscuring any part of the object

: So they fit the purpose and once you have the set-up it will be
: easier and less time consuming to produce good quality images.
: The only downside to this type of work is that it lacks a degree
: of glamour. In my case, it is a labour of love to produce
: dramatic and artistic images and so time consuming that I just
: don’t do much of it any more. Instead, I revert to a point and
: shoot and simple set-up when I need images without too much
: fuss. Maybe when you have all the images you need and some time
: to spare you will push your photographic boundaries beyond the
: limit and get one very different image to go with the set. In
: this case might I suggest using just one light and accept areas
: in shadow (they create the drama).

: regards
: Paul
: www.heuerworld.com

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE