The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Unknown Heuer Carrera
In Response To: Re: Unknown Heuer Carrera ()

Hi Mark,

I'll mail the pictures shortly, so thanks for your help.

Regarding the "The Carreras never used the Valjoux 21/2/3 though some of their predecessors did." part, the face clearly says Carrera so...... Hmmmm....... there's no doubt that the movement is either a Valjoux 21 or -22 since it's stamped on the center base plate close to the rim and I saw that myself. ( Scatterbrained as I am, I just don't remember which one it is )

There is also no doubt that the watch wasn't pieced together from other watches as the only persons who ever serviced this time piece was the watchmakers at the Royal naval workshops in Copenhagen and that is where I got it to start with in 1979, I saw it there some years earlier (1977 maybe), at that time it had been stuck away in a drawer for some years already.

When I laid my clammy hands on it in 1979, no one really cared about it and that's how it found a new and better home.

Strap isn't original but I am working on finding one and to my knowledge that is about the only thing that really can be pointed a finger at.

: Welcome to the forum Bo!

: We need some pictures to be able to give you any definitive
: answers, but there are a couple of things to share.

: The Carreras never used the Valjoux 21/2/3 though some of their
: predecessors did. The earliest Carreras used the Vj 72 (Carrera
: 12, the 3-register models) and Vj 92 (Carrera 45, the 2-register
: models). You might tell from that name that those 2-reg models
: have a 45 minute capacity rather than 30 minutes. The Carrera
: 30s didn't come in until around 1968/69.

: Sounds like your watch might be one of the so-called pre-Carreras
: but we need photos to really help. You'll need a photo host
: (lots of free ones like Imageshack, Photobucket etc), then
: follow the guide at the top of this forum. If you struggle with
: that, you can send them to carrera_table_mm@btinternet.com and
: I can host and post!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE