The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Nine Questions, to Keep on Your Thumb-Drive
In Response To: How to buy a vintage watch ()

My tip: Keep these nine questions on your thumb-drive, your c-drive and anywhere else you might be; modify them as appropriate, depending on the watch; and ask them, before you commit to a watch:

1. what is the ownership history of the watch? first owner; second owner; etc.?
  2. what is service history of this watch (and who did the most recent service work)?
  3. is the watch running well / keeping good time?
  4. on the chronograph, is the start / stop / reset crisp and quick (or mushy and slow)?
  5. do you believe that everyhting is original on the watch (dial, hands, pushers, crown, needles, etc.)?
  6. has the case been polished or refinished? do you see any corrosion on the case?
  7. can you confrim that the dial has not been refinished / restored / repainted / re-anythinged?
  8. do you see any corrosion or rust in the movement?
  9. what are the serial number and reference number marked on the case (or movement)?
Great topic, Mark . . . let's see what others will suggest!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Ok, so we might all think we know how to do just that, but it
: doesn't mean everybody does and there was a time when none of us
: did.

: So, to help out those who have yet to take the plunge, I thought it
: might be nice if everyone could provide one tip from their
: experiences. Just one mind, it's easy to spill out plenty, but
: please pick one at first and then I'll go round again to see if
: we missed any gems. Might be an idea to offer generic tips
: first, then we can look at specifics in the next round, before
: collating them all at the end. Don't mean to patronise anyone,
: we might all be trading experts by now, I just think we could
: rustle up a nice guide/checklist like this.

: I'll kick off:

: Handle a number of watches before you buy your first one, to
: get a feel for what to expect and look for.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE