The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: My Guess: Buyer Didn't Care / Market Very Strong

Jeff, I think you are right, it was the early number, the early caseform with hardly any pusher integration, no crown mould, original bill of sale 1969, original backsticker, rare original box, original far out pushers, original papers....quite a few originals in there, documented in Heuer chronographs book and Bonhams cataloge, cooperation with the mother house TAG Heuer, coopartion with onthedash ;-)) !! As you know lots of time and work went into it, but I hope more people write books about Heuers !!
Ape I agree would not relume either. How ever this unique Autavia was already relumed and honestly with all the important goddies I could not care less, hence my watch people did not touch it, you know reluming is an easy job on those.
Jeff regarding the other Chronomatic I am not all shure about it, I don't know who owns it, is it somebody from the forum ? We have seen many Chronomatics just rather recently with later cases including larger pusher integration and flat V features with later case numbers.
The exotic watch looks worn to me (nos sticker ?), look at the scratches on the glass, also the luminous dot at 9 o clock would not have left as lousy the factory.
There are for sure confirmed the early Chronomatics with early number and no protection, however there is a transitional ? variation which was not explored at all.
Correct ot not hard to say really ?
Cheers
Arno

: In terms of the Chronomatic that sold for $46K, it was obvious
: to anyone looking at it that this watch had been relumed . . .
: my guess is that whoever bought this one just didn't care. He
: was buying Heuer's first known automatic chronograph / the very
: lowest serial number that we have seen on any Chronomatic, and
: it was with the box and store receipt, from August 1959. This
: buyer either didn't care to look closely, or didn't care after
: he had looked closely . . . but the relume seemed obvoius. Not
: the best workmanship that we have seen.

: Can you please clarify what you mean about the 20,000 euro? Are you
: saying that Arno's watch would only fetch 20K Euro if it were
: being auctioned now, again by Bonhams, with the box, store
: receipt, world tour, publicity, hype, etc.? Or are you saying
: that 20K euro is currently the going rate for good Chronomatics,
: in the private market? For example, how would you value yours?

: Interesting discussion . . . a walk down memory lane with the
: Haslinger auction . . . not sure when we will see these prices
: again, only because I'm not sure when we will see this marketing
: / publicity / factory support / hype / 150th Anniversary again.
: But I believe that the private market is very strong!

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE