The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Vintage Heuer Chronograph Serial / Caseback Number: 1199

Hi Matt, and welcome.

The short answer is: Yes, that is a high restoration cost. Unfortunately the Heuer you have in question is probably worth equal or less than the amount you have been quoted for repair. I'm no expert when it comes to precise pricing of restoration, but one thing that stands out for me is the quote for a new crystal... The mineral glass for your watch would be a standard size, available from any watch parts wholesaler for approx $2. (yes, two dollars) So quoting you 200 bucks is outrageous. At the most, $50, but here in the UK there is a large online watch parts company that sells standard glass for £0.99 - what's that, around $1.50.
Custon pusher assembly - again, I think your watchmaker is taking advantage, standard pushers should cost no more than a few dollars.

If I were you, I'd find a different watch repaired and have them look at it, the movement is a standard Valjoux works.

Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE