The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is it practical to purchase Heuer Autavia as daily watch

Hello Jeff,

The answer is yes, it is.

I wear my vintage chronographs all the time, and some of those have never been serviced.
Most vintage watch collectors will most likely tell you to keep your vintage timepieces as far away from water as possible, but I get a kick out of swimming with a couple of mine, mostly my Hamilton Chrono-Matic, a real beater, but a few months ago I had a chance to go in the ocean with my Autavia "Viceroy". It's been in both, the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. I must say I did a little pressure test before doing it, I took the movement out and left the case in a bucket of water for an about an hour. It was completely dry by the time I opened it. Not quite a pressure test, but I knew it was safe to go swimming with it.

If I were you, I would offer $1200.00 for the Autavia, all the jeweler can do is say no, but he may well say yes, after all he is a friend of the family. What do you lose by asking?

Good luck!

Darwin

Messages In This Thread

Is it practical to purchase Heuer Autavia as daily watch?
Wear it!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE