The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: I Keep Trying to Estimate . . .

my stomach and personal number of sifferts i had in my life (i would guess 50-65) tells me that we must have 1000 around.

I agree that not all sifferts show up on markets but i also believe in the times 10 years ago, that the flodding of (any) goods to ebay was huge. from that time i still remember we had about 1 sifferts in 2 months showing up. One might think: OK why should all sifferts being ever produced show up? I agree there is no reason for this but if you see the numbers showing up, plus estimate those in collectors hand (I guess about 200-350)....

I dont think they are more....The serial numbers 141 and 222 , 223, 242 ect would also indicate that we must have a range in the 100rds to upto 1000 if you like.

furthermore at the 70s time i am pretty sure a white watch with blue indexes was lower in demand by people than a claiccical watch with black dial....so many draw backs against a higher number indeed.

if the watch was lets say 5000 we would see as many coming up from private drawers as viceroys. than we would also see more parts: like hands and dials....so the number must be way way below 5000.....way way....and 5000 in collectors hands...makes no sence to me at this price levels not every collector will effort this piece of watch......so i would stay with 1000 max too.

ape

: I keep trying to estimate (a) how many garden variety Viceroys
: we see over the course of a month or year, versus (b) how many
: 1163 MH Autavias we see over this same period, (c) versus how
: many 1163 T (Sifferts) we see over this same period. Taking this
: information and looking back at the early 1970s, the only
: variable that is known is the approximate number of Viceroys
: sold in the cigarette company promotion (5,000), and then we
: need to add on the overstock / surplus of Viceroys that Heuer
: produced, but did not sell to Viceroy customers.

: Would be interesting to know -- in the dark days before the Viceroy
: promotion -- how well the black ones were selling compared with
: the white ones.

: At the end of the exercise, I have a headache, rather than an
: estimate. I am confident that others will be able to reach some
: conclusion other than this same headache!!

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE