The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
i feel a bit sorry for these unloved subs now

i also have a 16800 which i think is fantastic.

it may not have a chrono, calculator or second time zone but it's still every bit a tool watch and certainly has its place among my watches.
i used to wear my tranny monaco for nearly everything but there are some situations i just wouldn't go near with it on.

more often than not i'll have my head (and wrists!) in an engine bay and there's really no other watch up to the job.
i can knock it, cover it in oil and then run it under the tap later.
swimming or even snow fights with the boys? no problem!
putting up a brick wall or laying concrete slabs in the garden? Ha! no sweat!
off road cycling? no worries.

seriously, the amount of times i've bashed or scraped it you'd never believe it's the same watch, still running perfectly.

the 16800 is a transitional model with the old style dial but better case, movement and...the love it or hate it crystal.
in my view, the best of both worlds really for practicality as there's no way a plexi to take the beating this boy's had.
some dials have been swapped @ service time but i'm lucky to still have the original on mine which is now turning a dark cream colour.

it may not look as beautiful as a Monaco or Siffert or even a mk1 Autavia but for me that's not what it's for - it has it's role which it performs beautifully.

i can't compare it with the absolutely gorgeous Monnin posted in this thread as i just wouldn't risk the Monnin for some jobs.

and hey, if you don't llike the cyclops there are plenty videos out there to show you how to remove them :-)

my one issue was the bezel insert which was just too good for me so i self-faded a spare which is much more my scene.

AndyO...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE