The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
No directions, only thoughts...
In Response To: I'm considering a trade... ()

I'm considering a trade... Posted By: Bart Thans [Date: 7/15/04 14:19 GMT]

My black/white dial Automatic Autavia, AND my Omega pre-moon c. 861 for a manual wind 'Siffert'.

Would this be a good deal?

Not in my opinion...

I own a manual wind 'Siffert'...

(and I'm of the group who would call this a 'Siffert-style' or 'Siffert pattern' but not an actual 'Siffert')...

I paid about $580 for the watch, put another $800 in repairs into her, and put a correct bracelet at $200 on her. And I doubt that you'd find one of these for less than $1,200 if it was all correct.

Just about any Autavia Automatic seems to be going for at least $800 these days and that's the low end of the price range. Let's figure $1,000 to $1,200 for a Good quality Autavia.

and an c.861 Pre-Moon Moonwatch... That is probably worth at least $1,000 and maybe as much as $1,200 to $1,400...

So let's do the math...

Give:

Get:

Difference:

Pre-Moon

$1,000~1,400

Autavia Manual

$1,200~1,400

Autavia Auto

$800~1,200

Totals:

$1,800~$2,600

$1,200~1,400

Difference:

$600~1,400

So I'd estimate you'd be out $600~1,400 in value with this trade, if you were trading across your two watches for the one I have...

Now I don't know which one you're going for, but it's always been my experience that it's nearly always better to treat transactions separately... Buy in one transaction, sell in another. Trade only if it's in your favor.

But that's just me.

I know it's a tough question, but some directions would be very welcome.

No directions, just thoughts. The decision is up to you, you are in the best position to decide what's best for you.

On the other hand, in my example above, the 3-Register 7736 Black on White Autavia is a pretty rare find these days, and c.861 moonwatches (even pre-moon 861's) and white on black Autavia's are still not that difficult to find. So one could trade away (even at what I perceive to be a loss) and reasonably be able to purchase watches similar to the one's you'd be trading away.

But I'd still personally rather sell them off separately and then purchase seperately.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE