The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Amen! and 'Best offer' is not off the hook...

Just takes the wind out of my sails when I've read a great for sale post and then there is that weasel-ey ending when it's time to understand what the seller wants for the item.

"Why" is all that is running through my head.

And I ignore the seller after that.

Best offer is not that much different. Both approaches put the onus on the buyer not only to pay for item (normal), but then to tell the seller what their item is worth.

A price check post is much more appropriate, IMO. Most car enthusiast sites don't allow anything but 'state your price' for parts or cars

: OK, so I just received a listing of some amazing vintage watches
: offered for sale via 1stDibs . . . some fantastic looking
: watches!!

: Two dealers are responsible for most of theses vintage listings . .
: . (A) one dealer lists a price for each watch that he offers for
: sale and (b) the other dealer uses "Price Upon
: Request" for almost all his listings.

: I remain at a loss to understand why a dealer uses the "Price
: Upon request" approach, in this era of transparency,
: instant information, etc., especially with some
: "commodity" type watches. Can anyone defend, explain,
: justify or endorse this practice?

: OK . . . rant over . . . I feel better already!!

: Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE