The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Question for the Crew: Colored Dials, circa 1968 / 69 ?

Jeff

I think there must have been several batches of paint used, for sure the Chronomatics and earlier Transitionals are very prone to paint degradation, especially if the watches come into contact with moisture, either from getting too hot and cooling down or from the opposite, although the late batch of Transitional (1580xx -1581xx) mostly were ok, so perhaps at the end of production they had improved the finish) It looks to me that they do not have the same top coat seal that some of the later 1133G metallic dials had, although saying that we see those and 1533G/B suffering similar issues, albeit they are mostly started by melting seals, not inherent weakness in the paint. As you say metallic dial finish was uncommon and I suspect they just had not quite perfected it yet, and I‘d wager pre-launch testing was not rigorous!

However it was successful use of colour because many an original owner of a metallic blue dial 1133b will attest they bought it because of the stunning dial effect and several bought it specifically to match the metallic blue American muscle car they owned at the time!

Rich

: As I have been studying these "Paintless" Monacos, it
: seems clear that something in the "midnight blue"
: paint failed. So then I start thinking that this was one of
: Heuer's first attempts at a colored dial, with almost all the
: previous Heuer dials being wither black or dial. Of course, the
: Skippereras from circa 1968 did just fine.

: So here's the question: Were many brands using colored watch dials
: around 1968 / 69 or was this a relatively new thing? Part of the
: "pop" culture of the era. I will need to flip through
: some multi-brand books (to check the other brands), but it does
: strike me that until the late 1960s, the primary color choices
: in watches were black and white (and the silver variations, of
: course).

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE