The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
World Series never seemed "World".......

...to me either since baseball is only a religion in the US and maybe Japan...but I guess it went to our heads and we have been a bit cocky since we beat your King George in that war a long time ago. Being cocky can be a lot of fun but usually does not bring great results.

: ...and I could have done without the focus on all the accidents up
: front. I really couldn't stomach the whole thing.

This vid as with most racing vids is made for a rather less motorsport educated audience (mass audience). These people like wrecks. The only reason you don't have more wrecks in F-1 is that everybody except the front runners is so afraid to wreck their zillion dollar cars that they hang back and stay out of the way to protect the investment.

: And 500 miles of turning left, or, more accurately, preventing the
: car from turning left on the straights because it is set up with
: camber, has never really done it for me either. I think it's
: probably down to what you grew up with, and I am just that much
: more familiar with "road" races that ovals don't
: really do it for me.

What you say is true for me too...except for the Indy 500 which is a long flat track with 4 very different corners. I look at NASCAR as sort of the Big Time Wrestling of racing. There are people who think it is really wrestling and there are people who think NASCAR is really racing....although I must say that the NASCAR money is so big now that it has attracted a lot of very good drivers...I just don't like it.

: I did watch IndyCar as was when Mansell was racing in it and there
: were exciting moments, but short ovals? Really not my thing.
: Show me a car compressed all the way to its bump stops changing
: direction and I'm much more interested. Eau Rouge or Turn 4?
: Clear winner for me.

There is a great article on Sir Nigel's stint in Indy Cars in the current "Racer" magazine.

: To be fair, I can see what the attraction of long oval racing is,
: it's just never worked its claws into me.

If you ever come to Indy I will give you as close to the all access tour that you can get. It may not bring you to love it but you will see some ghosts.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE